Saturday 25 July 2015

Comedian Simon To Be Charged For Assaulting Sepp Blatter With Dollars

Comedian Simon Brodkin has revealed the money he showered over FIFA President Sepp Blatter was $600 of his own money and that he received all of it back from the police. Brodkin, best known for his comedy alter egos Lee Nelson and Jason Bent, evaded security to storm a press conference at FIFA headquarters in Zurich on Monday and threw the dollar bills at Blatter.

He was arrested and charged with trespassing by the Swiss authorities on Tuesday before being released to return to the UK.



In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Brodkin said the money, supposedly to secure the World Cup for North Korea in 2026, was from his own bank account. He said: 'If you're going to do it, you do it properly. The FIFA guys couldn't believe it. In the end it cost me nothing because they gave it all back. I can assure you there might be corruption in FIFA, but the Swiss police are corruption-free. They gave back every penny. 'Here you go, sir.''

Brodkin must now wait and see whether the Swiss prosecutor feels a trial is necessary.

He added: 'It is, unfortunately, serious. Am I worried? I know I've been charged and I don't know if I can say too much. I can say that it would be the greatest irony of all if I was the first person to go to prison over events in FIFA HQ.'

The stunt was a satirical swipe at the endemic corruption at the heart of FIFA that is the subject of an ongoing investigation by the FBI.


Brodkin calmly walked up to Blatter's position as he prepared to start a press conference and placed a wad of US dollars on the table, saying: 'This is for North Korea 2026.'

He then turned to address the press while Blatter, who later announced he would not stand for another term as FIFA President in forthcoming elections having resigned earlier this year, waved urgently at security guards to take him away.

Before he could be removed, Brodkin threw a huge bundle of notes into the air, which rained down on Blatter. 


Explaining the reasons behind his prank, Brodkin said: 'I guess that I've looked at people in the public eye who maybe could do with being brought down to earth a little bit. I think FIFA and Sepp Blatter are probably in that mix. Even the FIFA security you could sense were smiling and joking about it. Sepp, not so sure. After arresting me and me being in a cell for several hours, the Swiss police showed me that the video had made it on to the website of a big national paper. There was a warmth there.'

However, Brodkin was still charged with trespass and may have to return to Switzerland for a trial.


A police spokesman said: 'He will be charged for trespassing because he wasn't allowed to enter the building. If there will be a trial it is still to be decided by the prosecutor. Trespassing in Switzerland is just prosecuted by request like other minor crimes.'

No comments:

Post a Comment